Official Publication of Square Foot Gardening Foundation
- Welcome to new Certified Instructors
- Exclusive Special Offer for Instructors
- Special appearance by Mel, Book Signing, Open House in San Diego CA
- Message from Belinda
- 3-day Symposium in Halifax, NC
- Get a free full-color Jung Seed Catalog
- Announcements & Upcoming Events
WELCOME TO NEW CERTIFIED INSTRUCTORS
Mark Stuart of Harris, Minnesota
Karen Page of Lapeer, MichiganDUSTY RHODES OF NEW IBERIA, LOUISIANAnot pictured:
Phyllis Hills of St. Leonard, Maryland
Exclusive Offer for Certified Instructors OnlySave $6.99 on Mel's New Book or Get a Package DealDear Certified Instructor,Mel's latest release is now available to everyone! It is retailing for $16.99 in our store and in major bookstores. Because we believe this book is important to your success, Mel has asked us to give a limited time discount exclusively to our Certified Instructors. It's unheard-of for a new release to be discounted, but that is what we are doing just for you. We want you to have this book!For that reason, we are offering a LIMITED TIME SPECIAL DISCOUNT FOR INSTRUCTORS ONLY on this brand new book –Save $6.99Here is why the SFG Answer Book is a good idea for instructors:
BUT WAIT – THERE'S MORE!!!From Mel himself:"I would really like all of our Certified Instructors to have every one of my books, but I know times are tight. In addition to the discount on SFG Answer Book, please tell them they can get the Original Square Foot Gardening book for only $6.00 – If they order it in this promotional package with the SFG Answer Book."Per Mel's instruction, here are the exclusive offers:
- Since you're certified, people will consider you an expert. They are going to want answers. Now when you don't know an answer, just look it up in the SFG Answer Book. Take this book with you everywhere. It can save the day!
- You're giving a class and there are 35 people present. One of them asks, "What did you think about Mel's SFG Answer Book?" What will you say?
- Get answers for yourself so you WILL be a real expert. Amaze everyone!
- This is an invaluable reference manual you'll return to time and again. Pass it down to your family. Its timeless wisdom will never be outdated!
- Save time & money by not having to search everywhere for the answers you need. Get the answers straight from Mel himself.
- It's plain good reading. Yes, it's chock full of technical info, but also stories, anecdotes, and things you won't find anywhere else except in this book!
Place your order now in our online e-store. Get all the answers you'll need for your business -- Order yours today!Promotion CodesJust the Answer Book: CI-ANSWERBOOK2-Book Deal: CI-2BOOKKDEALBest Regards,Square Foot Gardening Foundation
- Square Foot Gardening Answer Book – Get this new release - an invaluable reference guide with questions and answers on everything SFG - for ONLY $10.00. (The full retail price is $16.99 – you save $6.99!)
- Get the Original Square Foot Gardening Book (Best-selling garden book of all time) for just $6.00 more (It's a $20.00 value) when you purchase both books together! That's $16.00 total (plus shipping & handling) for both books. Get two books for less than the price of one!
- * PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS EXCLUSIVE INSTRUCTOR OFFER EXPIRES ON FEB. 5, 2013.
PS --- Please don't let this opportunity pass you by to own the classic Square Foot Gardening book and Mel's new release, SFG Answer Book. They will be invaluable to your success. Remember, this special offer expires 2/5/2013 and then the price goes back to regular retail. Use the special promotion codes when you order. Place your order now.
SPECIAL APPEARANCE BY MEL Feb 21st, OPEN HOUSE Feb. 22nd at Balboa Park in San Diego, CaliforniaMel at Balboa Park - Mel Bartholomew will be giving an Introductory talk and session about his new books on Thursday, Feb. 21, 2013 in the Prado, Room 104, Balboa Park; 7:00 pm - 8:00 pm in San Diego, California. Cynthia Ruybal will also be speaking briefly about current SFG projects and events happening in San Diego.
Open House - On Friday, Feb. 22nd, 2013 in the Prado, Room 104, Balboa Park 2:00 pm - 8:00 pm, SFGF will host an Open House and Mini Workshops at 3:00, 5:00 and 7:00. SFGF Staff and Certified Instructors will be on hand to answer questions about the SFG method and how to establish gardens in your neighborhood. We will be speaking, in greater detail, of the humanitarian and educational efforts and goals in San Diego.
Call for Volunteers - We are recruiting volunteers for our upcoming events in San Diego. If you will be in the area and would like to help out, please contact:
Special Projects Manager
Message from Belinda JensenSFGF Instructor LiaisonAmie Guyette Hall and I have been so pleased with the people that have attended the Online Square Foot Gardening Certification Courses, and the work they have brought forward. We give out assignments each week for them to work on. Some of them are:
- Visit & post at least once on the Forum
- Prepare the contract to email or mail
- Bring and present your own concise sentence describing SFG
- Prepare and email a photo of your SFG and yourself Prepare to teach 3-5 min about making Mel’s mix and share plans for certification use
The teaching assignment has been especially fruitful as we get to hear from each student and assess their teaching ability. Students have even prepared power points and videos of their own volition. Watch these teacher videos to see the quality of teaching from even our newest teachers! We're so proud of all our Certified Instructors!
"Square Foot Garden"
Happy New Year everyone! We are off to a great start in 2013!
- 3-Day Square Foot Gardening Instructor Certification Symposium, in Historic Halifax, North CarolinaJoin our very own CEO, Victoria Boudman for this informative and challenging SFG Instructor Certification Symposium. Learn the "who, what, where, when, why and how" of SFG. Learn how you can make a difference in our rapidly changing world, help end world hunger, empower those around you, or simply learn a new view of gardening.Thurs., March 21 through Sat., March 23, 20139am-5pm Thursday and Friday; 9am-12pm SaturdayHosted by Master Gardeners of Halifax CountyNC Cooperative Extension, 359 Ferrell Lane, Halifax, NCRegistration is specially priced at only $165 per person. Register now to reserve a spot!Lunch will be available for a nominal price onsite, and features dishes prepared from Mel Bartholomew's Harvest Cookbook. Turn your Symposium Experience into a mini-retreat for mind, body, and soul.Rest, relax, and take a step back in time in historic Halifax, one of NC's oldest towns. Eclectic antique shops and rich cultural experiences await you. A walk down Main Street assures you that Small Town America still exists! Just 15 minutes outside the charming town, you'll discover entertainment, nightlife, and fine regional cuisine. Whether it’s the Royal Palace Theatre, the "world's longest museum," or Lake Gaston, exciting attractions, quaint bed-and-breakfasts, and regional cuisine await you when your classes end at 5:00 -- just a short, scenic drive from this tranquil haven.Take a guided or self-guided tour of the historic district, where you'll see: a museum, living history demonstrations, restored colonial and 19th century historical homes and buildings, clerk's office, jail, Eagle Tavern, and Tap Room. Delegates met in Halifax in 1776 to craft the Halifax Resolves, the first official action by an entire colony to recommend independence.Nestled near the Virginia border, Roanoke Rapids and Weldon, Halifax is set on the naturally resplendent Roanoke River. Visit Halifax website showcases the area's attractions. Founded by Mel Bartholomew, SFGF is a 501(c)3 nonprofit, with goals to end world hunger and promote healthy lifestyles. The SFG method produces 100% of the harvest of a row garden, using no fertilizer, and far less water, space, seeds, labor, tools and expense. Best of all – there are no weeds! For more info, contact Davanna Driggers at email@example.com. Map.
GET A FREE FULL-COLOR JUNG SEED GARDEN CATALOGOur new partnership with Jung Seed is a very happy one for all concerned. We are now offering their catalog to our customers, friends, and newsletter subscribers. Jung Seed Company asked us to please supply them with any of our SFGers who would like to receive a catalog - name and mailing address. These catalogs will ship a few days after Christmas. There will be a lineup of very special products and offers!If you are a die-hard gardener, you probably do like the rest of us – on cold winter days, you curl up in a chair and gaze longingly into the pages of a seed catalog! You place your orders and wait with great anticipation for the seeds to arrive. Then you wait with great anticipation for the moment to finally arrive when you can go outside to prepare the garden beds and plant the seeds! Don't worry – if you do this, you are a true gardener. We do it too!Get your free J.W. Jung Seed Company catalog on its way to your mailbox today.
Email your name and mailing address to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We will put you on the list for a FREE FULL COLOR SEED CATALOG. Simply put "Mail Order Seed Catalog" in the subject line or somewhere in the email. Never miss SFGF and Jung Seed Special Offers again!J.W. Jung Seed Company is an established and reputable family-owned seed company – they sell high-quality organic seeds, bulbs, and plants. They are not the same company, and are not affiliated with, Jung Genetics!Announcements & Upcoming EventsSFG "Garden Time" Potting Soil is now available at select Lowes® and Home Depot® stores – look for it at a store near you!
- Online - Learn about how to get fit with certified SFG Instructor, Amie Guyette Hall, on her web show; Fitness Radio! www.ftns.co Amie features SFG every Monday at 10:20am PST
- Online - SFG Certified Instructor Steve Howard has podcasts on gardening and pursuing a country life. He's got a big following. Give him a listen at www.borntofarm.com.
- Fort Worth Garden Club (www.fortworthgardenclub.org) 18 Jan 2013 - 10:00 am. Located in Fort Worth, Texas. Don’t miss Julie Whitis, certified Square Foot Gardening Instructor. "Julie takes delight in teaching others how to create their own Texas Veggie Garden. Julie loves to quote, “NO Digging, NO Weeding, NO Tilling, NO Kidding”. Join Julie and learn more about this innovative style of gardening. It is a simple, successful and delicious way to have your own vegetable garden. Please remember, February is the starting month for spring vegetable planting-don’t miss out!"
- Los Angeles County Arboretum & Botanic Garden, January 19, 2013 10am-1pm/Ayres Hall with Jo Ann Carey, instructor; $25 Arboretum members/$30 non-members; "Nothing compares to the flavor of food that is grown in healthy soil, without pesticides, and allowed to grow until just the right time for harvesting. Square Foot Gardening uses only 20% of the land space of a conventional garden and saves both water and time. There is no tilling of the soil so anybody can do it."
- Julie Whitis & Karen McFarland teach SFG at 1106 Almond Drive, Mansfield, Texas on January 12, 2013 from 9:30 a.m. to 12:00 noon. Learn more
- Mel at Balboa Park, San Diego, California - Mel Bartholomew will be giving an Introductory talk and session about his new books on Thursday, Feb. 21, 2013 in the Prado, Room 104, Balboa Park; 7:00 pm - 8:00 pm. Cynthia Ruybal will also be speaking about current SFG projects and events happening in San Diego.
- SFGF Open House, Balboa Park, San Diego - On Friday, Feb. 22nd, 2013 in the Prado, Room 104, Balboa Park 2:00 pm - 7:00 pm, SFGF will host an Open House and Mini Workshops at 3:00, 5:00 and 7:00. SFGF Staff and Certified Instructors will be on hand to answer questions about the SFG method and how to establish gardens in your neighborhood. We will be speaking, in greater detail, of the humanitarian an educational efforts and goals in San Diego.
- 3-Day SFG Certified Instructor Symposium with Victoria Boudman, CEO of SFGF, in Halifax, North Carolina, Thurs., Fri., and Sat., March 21-23, 2013. Hours are 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. on Thursday and Friday; 9:00 a.m. to 12 noon on Saturday. Lunch is available onsite for a nominal fee. Hosted by Master Gardeners of Halifax County in the NC Cooperative Extension Building, 359 Ferrell Lane, Halifax, NC.